Monday, June 23, 2008

Monday Memory

There's definitely something wrong when you've got me posting Janis Joplin & Joni Mitchell one after the other. A bit of nostalgia? Perhaps age kicking in? Well, I can tell you it certainly hasn't been an easy week. And I take refuge in memories - my safe haven in troubled times.

I love Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi. To be honest, I love all her music. And a true Canuck! There are many other covers of this song, the most recent one being by Counting Crows, I think. But you just can't beat the original.


"I wrote 'Big Yellow Taxi' on my first trip to Hawaii. I took a taxi to the hotel and when I woke up the next morning, I threw back the curtains and saw these beautiful green mountains in the distance. Then, I looked down and there was a parking lot as far as the eye could see, and it broke my heart... this blight on paradise. That's when I sat down and wrote the song."

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/daily/12-96/12-07-96/b01ae065.htm

No comments: